I sat in the chair nearly choking from the cape wrapped around my neck to protect me from the detached hair. Those with cameras crept closer to capture the picture with tears in my eyes as the young boy began to saw away at my ponytails.
There was no sadness, I was mad. Mad with delight, that is. I’d been waiting impatiently for a year to cut my hair. If I hadn’t been so determined to donate, at least, the minimum length required by Pantene Beautiful Lengths then I would have cut my hair 20 times over by now.
I have never had long hair before and I’m not so sure I’d ever grow it long again.
X number of things I’ll never miss about my long hair:
1. Getting it caught under the shoulder strap of whatever bag or backpack I am carrying.
2. Having the wind blow it into my mouth when I’m eating.
3. Having to readjust ponytails or buns because I want to rest my head back on the couch or a pillow.
4. falling into my kids faces when I bend over to kiss them good night.
5. The gigantic snarl forming at the nap of my neck if I wear it down and loose for more than an hour.
6. My husband cursing at the hair laying all over the house.
7. Not being able to fall asleep in the winter if I take a shower right before bed because the long, wet hair will make my head cold.
8. Feeling dampness across the back of my shirt from my wet hair after a shower
I hope someone else can enjoy my hair because I won’t miss it at all.
And a big THANKS to Handsome Alice, the beauty shop in town that got me back to looking normal afterward.